Winter Energy NewsletterDecember 4, 2017
It’s hard to believe that winter is already here, but it’s never too late to be prepared and make sure you can get the most out of Power Smart Pricing. We gathered a few tips to help you manage your energy usage and costs while staying safe and warm during the cold months.
Do the cool weather shift!
To maximize your winter savings potential, reduce usage on weekdays from 6 a.m. to 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Make sure you’re taking advantage of all the tools available.
- Don’t be left out in the cold if there’s a high price alert this winter! Click here to make sure your notification preferences are up-to-date.
- Check out the Power Smart Pricing Facebook page to connect with us and get new tips every other Friday!
- Follow us on Twitter @PowerSmart to get the high and low prices of the day.
- Head to Ameren Illinois’ Savings Center for rebates on LED lights and smart thermostats. You can also learn more about incentives for energy-efficient home improvements that save money on your energy costs.
Follow these tips to get the most out of Power Smart Pricing this winter.
- Avoid heating your home more than necessary. Close vents and doors in unused rooms.
- Lower your thermostat a few degrees during peak hours to maintain a balance between comfort and savings. Consider turning your thermostat down at night and adding an extra blanket to your bed to further reduce your energy consumption.
- Be sure to replace your furnace filter monthly as dirty filters reduce airflow and make your furnace work harder to keep your home warm.
- Upgrade to a programmable or smart thermostat so you can automatically adjust your usage to match the typical winter pricing pattern. You can find rebates for these thermostats here.
- Switch the direction of your ceiling fans to gently draw warm air up and avoid a wind chill effect.
- Take advantage of the sun by opening window curtains during the day. Close curtains at night to keep the warmth inside and the chill out.
- Reduce drafts around doors and windows with additional weather-stripping, window insulation kits, or draft stoppers.
- Make the switch to LED lights this winter. LED holiday lights are reliable and energy-efficient, so you can spread seasonal cheer for less. You can check out Ameren Illinois’ LED rebates here.
- Consider investing in whole-home air sealing and insulation. Air leaks can account for as much as 40% of a home’s energy loss!
From all of us at the Power Smart Pricing team, have a safe and warm winter!
Click here to download the 2017 Winter Readiness Guide.