Summer Energy GuideMay 21, 2015
This newsletter provides information on the summer pricing pattern, ways to shift and save in the summer, our summer webinar offerings, the bill comparison tool, and our Grill & Picnic Power contest. Click here to download the Power Smart Pricing Summer Guide.
Managing Summer Electricity Costs with Power Smart Pricing
When the weather turns warm and air conditioners start to run, hourly pricing patterns begin to change. As a general rule of thumb, hourly electricity prices tend to be highest during hot summer afternoons. To manage electricity costs this summer, reduce your usage between 1 p.m. and 5 p.m. on weekdays by shifting some of your usage to nights and weekends.
Summer Readiness Tips
According to the Department of Energy, heating and cooling costs account for 48 percent of an average home’s energy use. Therefore, adjusting your air conditioning use can be one of the most effective ways to manage your summer electricity costs. Follow these tips to stay cool for less this summer:
- Set window air conditioners to the low or “energy saver” setting, or turn them off when electricity prices are high.
- Change your thermostat to a warmer setting when electricity prices are high or when you are away from home.
- Follow the recommended schedule below to pre-cool your home at night when prices tend to be the lowest.
If you are looking to replace your old air conditioner, Ameren Illinois’ energy efficiency programs offer incentives and discounts on the purchase and installation of energy efficient central air conditioners. Visit actonenergy.com/for-my-home for more information or call Ameren Illinois at 866-838-6918.
- Wash your clothes in cold water to save on the cost of water heating.
- Run your washer and dryer when prices are low.
- Instead of drying clothes in the dryer, hang them on a clothes line or drying rack.
- Avoid using electric ovens and stoves during high price times. A microwave will heat small portions more efficiently.
- Enjoy no-cook meals or grill outside to avoid heating up the kitchen on hot days.
- Run the dishwasher when electricity prices are low, use the “energy saver” or no-heat dry setting, and only run full loads of dishes.
Save the Date for a Summer Webinar
Whether you’re new to Power Smart Pricing or a longer-term participant, we have a webinar for you this summer. Please join us!
June 3, 7:00 – 7:30 p.m.: Tips for Managing Summer Energy Costs. This webinar will explain the basics of the Power Smart Pricing program and provide you with information to help control your usage and costs during the summer months. We recommend this webinar for new Power Smart Pricing participants or longer-term participants wanting to review summer pricing trends, the bill comparison tool, and the mobile app.
You can view a recording of the webinar (in two parts), by clicking the links below:
- Power Smart Pricing Program Basics: https://youtu.be/7NdhIzjm9XM
- Tips for Managing Summer Energy Costs: https://youtu.be/TQl85DpjWEU
July 15, 7:00 – 7:30 p.m.: What Does an Energy Smart Future Look Like? This webinar will explore current and upcoming innovations in the smart grid, smart communities, and smart homes.
You can view a recording of the webinar (in three parts), by clicking the links below:
- What Does an Energy Smart Future Look Like? Part One: https://youtu.be/7NdhIzjm9XM
- What Does an Energy Smart Future Look Like? Part Two: https://youtu.be/a6HEwCVnLm0
- What Does an Energy Smart Future Look Like? Part Three: https://youtu.be/gJR9CUY0dM8
Track Your Performance
Did you know that you can compare your costs on Power Smart Pricing with what you would have paid on the standard fixed rate? The online bill comparison tool gives your program-to-date savings, monthly savings, and even a detailed breakdown of the line items on your bill.
To access the online bill comparison tool, click on “My PSP Account” on the Power Smart Pricing website. If accessing the tool for the first time, you will need to register with your Ameren Illinois account number.
Share Your Favorite Recipe and Win $100
Do people compliment your grilling skills or go back for second helpings of your salad at the family picnic? Grilling and picnicking are great ways to keep your kitchen cool and save energy in the summer. This summer, we’re giving you the opportunity to earn more than compliments with your recipe.
Enter one of your original, crowd-pleasing recipes in the Power Smart Pricing Grill & Picnic Power contest and you could win $100 or an advanced power strip.
Submit your original grill or picnic recipe with a picture of the finished product. The Power Smart Pricing team will vote for their favorite recipe – based on creativity, originality, and presentation. If your recipe wins, we’ll send you a check for $100. The second and third favorite recipes will receive an advanced power strip. We will share the three winning recipes on the Power Smart Pricing website and Facebook page for everyone to enjoy.
Contest entries can be mailed to:
Power Smart Pricing
Grill & Picnic Power Contest
322 S. Green St., Suite 300
Chicago, IL 60607
Or, email your recipe and photo to email@example.com, with “Grill & Picnic Power Contest” as the subject line. Please include your name, daytime phone number, email address, and home address on your entry. The entry submission deadline is June 15th, 2015.
Terms and conditions of the Grill & Picnic Power contest are available.